In God’s Lane
It was a special birthday!
Celebrated at the local bowling lanes
The sound of pin-ball machines
Bowling lanes filled with the clatter of balls and pin setters
Lights glowing, music going!
The young adults enjoying themselves
Having fun, a good time together
Balls, shoes, lanes selected
Everyone ready to “bowl”?
Bowling in anticipation of a high scoring game
First the stance
The aim for the pins
The perfect delivery of the ball
The thud on the glossy waxed lane
Quickly rolling ever forward toward the pins
Aiming for a strike
Happy with a spare!
Sometimes ending up with a split
Almost impossible to achieve in the second frame
Oft-times a “gutter ball”
Off the mark
Knocking down all the pins or just a few
The ball goes down the lane all the same.
The final score!
Life is hardly “a game”!
God has provided “a lane” upon which we are to traverse in life.
God’s lane being…
“The Cross of Christ”
For no one comes to the Father
Except by way of Christ’s saving sacrifice
The achievements obtained in life
Big or small the number
God has a goal in mind for each person’s life
That you stay in His lane
Following after Him
Learning daily from His manual, the Bible
Growing, taking a stance for Him
Living a life that is pleasing
Becoming more “Christ-like” day by day
We are to aim toward the goal
Eternal life with Him
“in Christ Jesus”, our Lord!
Sometimes we are split in our vision
Our aim askew pulled in every direction
Drawn away by distractions of the world
Not fully focused
Oft-times we end up in the “gutter”
Totally leaving the lane that the Father intends for our life
Caught in a groove
Going down the wrong path
Off the mark
Achieving nothing in life of eternal value
Time to “try again”!
Repent! Return to the Father in obedience!
Get back in the lane!
Into the lane where Christ resides
Having the vision of the Holy Spirit to guide us
Causing us to go in the right direction
To reach the mark!
The final score!
· Exodus 15:13 – “In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling.”
· Deuteronomy 5:32-33 – So be careful to do what the LORD your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left…so that you may live and prosper…
· Psalm 16:7-11 – …I have set the LORD always before me …You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
· Proverbs 4:20-27 – …Let your eyes look straight ahead…make level paths for your feet…do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil.
· Joel 2:12-14 – …Rend your heart…return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love,…
· John 14:6 – Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
· II Corinthians 2:14-15 – But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.
· Philippians 3:12-14 – …I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Written July 20, 2013 by Madeline Beber
Celebrating grandson Sean’s 16th birthday!
Desiring to stay in the center of God’s lane